lecture: Fun with(out) Freedom of Information
Austria, despite its nominal status as a democracy, does not recognize citizens' right to access to information ("Freedom of Information"). This has interesting effects, especially for people interested in journalism and hackers interested in the commons.
The presenter will tell a tale of a campaign, a freedom of information portal and a couple of lawsuits.
- What's possible with Freedom of Information, what happens without it?
- What's the worst thing that could happen to your campaign? (And what we did when it happened to us)
- Why we should run more Freedom of Information Portals.
- Why it's fun to sue your state, and why we should do more of it.
- Why journalism needs hackers, why hackers (YOU) should do journalism
Start time: 17:00